01 April 2009

Getting Ready to Go

I am packing and re-packing for my trip to Europe. My plane leaves late this afternoon!

I have been planning this trip with my daughter, Lisa, who is already in France. We've been using a wiki that she set up on PBWiki. It has been helpful and a lot of fun. I set up the pages; there are about twelve: a home page, a page for this trip which is basically an itinerary including flight information and costs, two pages for trips our family will be taking later, a page for each of locations we'll be visiting (France, Germany, Ireland, and England), and two packing pages. I also used the plugin feature to add some Google maps showing the locations we'll be visiting (go to Google, then Maps, then search for a location -- Add to My Maps and then it'll be there when you go back to My Maps). They've actually been embedded into the wiki page and they are linked back to Google. I've also uploaded an Excel spreadsheet of my estimated cost.

Lately, I'm out of time to keep up with it, but when I was making changes, or when Lisa was making changes, PBWiki would send emails to let the other know that there were updates. My other daughter, Erin, is a member of the wiki, too. It's private, and so we don't have to worry about posting specific details. Erin and Lisa will be traveling together they'll use their own page for that itinerary.

Looking ahead to our trip, I'm expecting that I will not be able to post photos. Lisa will have her nice SLR camera (she's a photography major at OU) and will be taking digital still pics, but we won't have a laptop with us so our ability to put photos up will be limited. She has discovered that whenever she uses a computer at an Internet cafe the computer itself is locked up, so she doesn't have access to the USB port. I'm hoping that we can find a workaround, though.

Well, on with the packing!

1 comment:

  1. I'm SO excited for you! I know that it will be a wonderful trip, so if you can, let us know what you're doing and what you've seen. So far, all is going smoothly, so don't even think about us at home. :-) Have a boatload of fun!!!
    Jan

    ReplyDelete