03 April 2009

Greetings from Paris

I started to write a post from Paris but had some technical difficulties. I didn't realize that keyboards in France were different. And that was only part of the problem.

I made it to the Charles de Gaulle Airport without my bag, but on time. I'd nearly missed the second plane because of delays on the first but a new friend and I struggled through the Atlanta Airport together.

I met up with Lisa at our hostel -- the 3 Ducks. Staying in the hostel was quite an experience, and I should write more about that; maybe when I get to a real keyboard. I am using my iPod Touch, one key at a time.

The first night Lisa & I walked to the Eiffel Tower where hundreds of people were waiting in line to buy the 12€ ticket to ride to the top. We visited and people-watched and ignored the numerous vendors trying to sell us small Eiffel Towers. Then we bought some chocolate crepes and walked along the Seine. We saw the Statue Of Liberty. I think I'd heard that there was a smaller version in Paris but I learned the next day that there are duplicates in several different countries. This one was about half size and in the center of the Seine.

At 8pm, we watched the thousands of bright lights on the Eiffel Tower make it sparkle. It was very pretty. We then found a nice little restaurant in the direction of our hostel and at 9pm we were surprised to see the Eiffel Tower's light show again -- because we hadn't even realized what a good view that restaurant had, since it was after dark.

Later we walked back to our hostel for the night.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! I have one of those little Eiffel towers. I didn't pay for it, of course. It was a gift from my neighbor, who went there 2 years ago. I'm glad you're having fun. Are you learning some French yet? :-). How is the French food? Tell us about the hostel you're staying in. Do you have to walk down the hall to take a bath? I can't wait for your next post. I'm living vicariously!

    ReplyDelete